The Official Publication of Volunteer Youth Leaders for Health - Philippines

Ten for Ten: 10 Things I Learned from VYLH

By Kristofer Ralph Supil (Hiraya)

VYLH recently turned 10 this year. I have been with the network for four years now, but weirdly, it feels like I’ve been with them since 2009. It’s really amazing how I saw myself on Day 1 and seeing myself now with the organization reaching its 10th year in full technicolor. I’m looking forward to many more years, to 20, to 30, and so on… with VYLH. But in this span of time I’ve been with them, I have at least learned 10 things - things I kept and will keep with me thanks to VYLH.


One
Passion and hard work are not mutually exclusive. I’ve learned over the years working with different volunteers that these two co-exist with each other. Until now, I have always been reminded to use these two consistently, one never without the other. Passion is a matchstick. Without hard work, without effort, sparks will never fly.

Two
Courage is the secret ingredient to do everything consistently. Having courage is a virtue one must practice in order to practice other virtues consistently. Most times, it’s always scary to start advocating for something people might never understand. But I’ve learned never to let yourself be ruled by these fears. Always remind yourself that there is always something good that’ll come out of your endeavors. Have faith in humanity.

Three
Talent is like DNA — not one is exactly alike. Being with different individuals every year can be very overwhelming. Being with them and seeing their set of talents can even make anxiety worse. You start to think about what you’re good at and what you can offer to the table. However, always think that talent is like DNA. You will never be as good as him or her but so will he or she. You will always be unique. You will always be you. And that’s what makes VYLH so amazing. It’s just several talents bursting with so much energy into one pot. What’s so nice about VYLH is that not once have I ever felt insecure. They’ve only pushed me to become a better version of myself.

Four
Friendship is a flexible concept. It has been said that maintaining friendship in the adult years is difficult. I’m turning 30 this year, and I’m slowly exiting the age bracket of “youth,” but I’ve come to understand that friendship is a flexible concept. And that’s okay. I might have been very close with someone the first day we met, and then we experienced a fall-out but it doesn’t mean our friendship ended there. I tell you, the moment you see each other again, you will be reminded of the several years that you had with them and it will feel as if it was just yesterday. You don’t have to be tagged in every photo. You don’t have to necessarily be in the same chatbox. You don’t have to be in the same region. You just need to understand that you have a friend wherever you may be, and whenever you will need it.

Five
Advocacy is a product of the heart. I always thought that advocacies were things honor roll students did. Young people who excel in the academics and extracurricular. I went into the organization as an average student not even familiar with the word “advocacy.” All VYLH needed was my heart and passion. Everything else followed. I grew. My heart grew. It became smarter. And I will always be indebted to VYLH for what it did to me. I will always wear my heart on my sleeve.

Six
The organization mirrors back who you truly are. Authenticity is key. It wasn’t really hard bringing out who I truly was in this organization. I was just a bit surprised meeting who I really was. Never thought I was capable in becoming who I am today. From the pessimistic, cynical person before to a hopeful, unrelenting Taylor that I am. I’ve also seen the network mold and change people. It is truly breathtaking.

Seven
You learn to be kind. Most importantly, to yourself. We can be really hard on ourselves. Setting standards. Unaccepting of our flaws and shortcomings. Always giving in to doubt. I’m grateful though that VYLH taught me, not only to be kind to others, but to be kind to myself. I’ve gone through so much with the people that they’ve given me the chance to become who I am today. Just last year, I volunteered to facilitate at the last regional camp before this year’s upcoming congress. I was surprised with the ceremony they prepared for us. I remember telling everyone that VYLH was the only group of people who told me that I was still working perfectly even when I knew I was already broken.

Eight
You learn and appreciate the value of memories. Thank God for a big phone storage capacity. I get to look back at photos and videos and unlock all the memories I need to motivate me to make more new ones with the volunteers and the organization. The value I have placed with memories is that these are actually the ones that keep us holding on.

Nine
Love is not what you think it is. I’ve fallen in love with so many people. I’ve fallen in love with their cuteness, their ambitions. But that was me before. Always associating love with the feeling of falling in love with the beautiful aspects of a person. But I’ve learned that love can come in so many forms. I have learned to love someone when they show up late for our meetings and dates. I have learned to love someone by not being bitter when they have finally decided to move on and love someone or something else. I have learned to love someone when they never give back what I give to them, and that’s more than okay. The organization has proven me that I am CAPABLE of love. That I am CAPABLE of loving even after being heartbroken.

Ten
VYLH can be any kind of home - a mansion, a duplex, a village, a small room, or a hostel. In VYLH, you will never experience being homeless. Time and time again, I have always felt lost. Even with the organization, feeling lost is not something you don’t experience especially when you’re navigating the 20s. But one thing I have never felt was feel homeless. I may have been lost and distant several times but VYLH always continued and consistently called itself my home. It would be a mansion filled with so many characters when I wanted life to look brighter. A duplex when I wanted a quaint and intimate meet-up just to talk about how I felt. A village when I needed help raising a newV (new VYLH volunteer) and teaching them the ropes of how to advocate for our advocacies. A small room if I needed to be left alone without them wanting to force themselves in. A hostel if I wanted to meet new people. VYLH was every kind of home. And it will always continue to be, I guess. I guess, I will never be homeless.#

_________________

Kristofer Ralph Supil @TaylorKristof13 is an Intensive Care Unit nurse at Holy Child Hospital, Dumaguete City. A graduate of Silliman University, Ralph became affiliated to VYLH in 2015. He is also a former Health Leadership and Governance Program Nurse of the Department of Health Region VII. 


Share:

Facebook

Twitter

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget